Thursday, August 14, 2008

Poetry Challenge Poem

Hello in there. Anybody home?

Well, today I decided to post one of the poems I wrote for the Poem-A-Day Challenge back in April. The idea was to write one poem every day using the prompts given to you by Robert Brewer (http://blog.writersdigest.com/poeticasides/). It was great fun, and tough as heck, and I actually managed to do it. Can't wait until next year. :-)

So, the prompt for this one was to write a poem that is only one-half of a two-person conversation. This prompt brought to mind Ryan Smith, my best friend when I was in high school. Ryan was a Marine and women loved him. He accidently dialed a wrong number one day and ended up going out with the woman who answered the phone. This is based on that conversation. Not my best piece of work, but I like it for the memory it represents.

Wrong Number, Ryan Style

Hi, is Steve there.
Wrong number?
Oh, I’m sorry.
Well, you have a nice voice. Can I talk to you?
No, I’m serious. You sound really nice.
Do I sound like an ax murderer?
I don’t know what one sounds like either.
No.
I’m a Marine.
Nearly four years now.
Yeah, I’m a short-timer. What do you do?
Really? Cool.
No, I’m serious. That sounds interesting.
Yeah, it’s getting kind of late.
Can I call you again?
Great.
Sure. Maybe we could get together for coffee one day.
That’d be great.
Well, I hope you have sweet dreams.
Goodnight.

©2008 Susan M. Bell

Ryan and I lost touch many years ago, and I do still miss him. He was a great friend. Not bad looking either, so hanging out with him was also kind of a way to thumb my nose at the popular, "beautiful" people at school who didn't think much of me. That sure didn't hurt. ;-)

No comments: