Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Garden Thoughts

Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you to plant a garden.
~Orson Scott Card



I had to smile when I found this quote. I lost my job last December, and if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have planted my garden...such as it is. Next year, employed or not, I will have a proper garden.


This is the scrawny tomato plant I moved from a bucket to the ground when it started getting sickly. The one tomato it had on it actually survived and ripened...


...into a tiny little thing. Wasn't much more than a cherry tomato, but it was my first harvest anyway. Now the plant is growing pretty well and has a number of blooms on it. Maybe there will be more to come.


3 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

It's a start! Keep that plant watered and it may surprise you yet!

Tammy said...

You might have a nice crop of fall tomatoes! I think I will be moving my garden to the back yard next year, as the current spot is too shady--I didn't get much of a harvest either...
Tammy

Susan M. Bell said...

Oh, that plant has a bunch of blooms on it now..and three or four little tomatoes. It's actually starting to look a bit better than the other one.

Tammy - This is the only spot in my yard I can use. I have a big side area that would be great, but the drain field for my septic tank is now there, so that's a no go. (At least until we can afford to get on city sewer and get rid of all that.) This area gets no morning sun, but from about noon on it is the brightest spot. My goal for next year is to have most of the little hill covered with tomatoes, corn maybe, maybe some potatoes...and the blackberries that grow wild off to the side. I have big dreams.