Monday, October 20, 2008

"Get that phone off your ear and DRIVE!"

OK, I have seen the ultimate stupid driver. About 15 minutes ago, someone pulled into my neighbor's driveway trying to turn around. Now, there is plenty of room at the top of his driveway to turn around, seeing as how he parks rigs up there, but this person decided they needed to pull right up to his house basically. Kind of rude if you ask me. Of course, she had one hand on the wheel, and the other holding the phone to her ear.

So, this person, pulled up and put it in reverse. I watched as she started to back up, using one hand still, and did not estimate it quite right and ended up at the top of the hill where our line meets the neighbor's. Now, this person was driving a four-wheel-drive, and she still couldn't get the car back up on the driveway. (I'm betting the phone on the ear had something to do with that.) She backed up, went forward, backed up, went forward. Never could quite get it.

I went into the house and told my husband he would probably have to go outside to help this wayward traveler, and as I glanced out the window, I was surprised to see that she had somehow gotten the car turned around so that it down faced downhill toward our house, and she was a mere inches from our deck. As I watched, and she talked, she backed up, spun the tires some on my grass, and pulled forward into our back yard.

Then, she proceeded to drive through our back yard and up our driveway, spinning a bit in the gravel as she headed out onto the road. (And I'm betting that phone was still on her ear.)

I do use a cell phone, but if someone calls me while I'm driving, I either let the voicemail pick up, or pull over to talk, depending on who it is. I'm betting that if this woman had put both hands on the steering wheel, she would have had better luck. That's point one of this tirade.

Point two, besides the rudeness of pulling right up into a stranger's driveway to turn around, she drove THROUGH our yard, leaving ruts (which weren't too big at least), and did not even think to maybe...oh, I don't know...stop and APOLOGIZE. (I often hear people refer to the Florida drivers, and I've never been one to fall into that trap, but after seeing her license plate, I know why they talk about them the way they do. It's people like this woman who give others a bad name. She's lucky my garden wasn't still there as she would have run right over it, and I would have been out in the yard after her like a shot. Don't know what I would have done, but I would have been out there.) :}


Well, I have to say we did kind of laugh about the whole thing. Yeah, it was rude, but the stupidness (Is that a word?) was worse by far. She was driving a four-wheel-drive for goodness sake. There shouldn't have been a problem. I'm betting she never even put it in four-wheel-drive. I'm betting she was too busy telling whomever was on the other end of that phone how her vehicle just wasn't doing what it was supposed to.


Some people should not be allowed to drive...talk on the phone...breed....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in California they passed a law back in July that you cannot talk on the phone while driving unless it is a hands off free phone as those bluetooth guys for the ear.You also are not allowed to pull over by the road to talk on the phone in alot of places either.i guess it's all those big roads here(4 and 6 lanes everywhere).

Susan M. Bell said...

I've seen a few places pass laws like that.

If I'm on the highway, I'll pull off an exit and pull into a store parking lot or some such if I need to talk on the phone. Pull off on the side of the road and you're liable to get hit right off the bat.