Sunday, March 25, 2012

New Experiment

OK, so today starts a new experiment. I got the idea from a blogger (forgot which one now) who got the idea from Jerry Seinfeld. Yes, THAT Jerry Seinfeld.

Seems Seinfeld uses a calendar to make sure he writes an hour every day. The idea is to mark off the day after he gets at least that hour of writing done on a calendar that hangs where he can see it. When you see it like that, the X's start connecting and making a chain. Instinctively, you don't want to break that chain, so you are more likely to keep going.

The blog I read was about doing the same thing, only the writer had four things he wanted to do every day, so set up four calendars with a goal of doing those things for at least 15 minutes each. His items were cleaning, writing, exercising and IT stuff (he was some sort of computer/internet/IT person).

Starting today, I'm taking his idea and running with it, although I only have three calendars: cleaning, exercising and writing. That's at least 45 minutes a day, 15 minutes devoted to each. I'm sure I'll think of a fourth thing at some point, but for now, three is fine. The exercising at least 15 minutes will hopefully not only help me get into some semblance of shape (besides round that is), but will also help to bring my BP down.

The cleaning....well...the past couple years have been tough around here, and I've been so down about so much, I've let this place go BIG TIME. It's way past time to get on top of that, which means cleaning out, throwing out and/or selling lots of stuff that has piled up.

As for the writing, you'd think that since I run the local writers' group, I'd be writing like crazy. Not the case. Maybe it's the aforementioned tough times we've been going through, but my writing has really slacked off. So now the idea is to write for at least 15 minutes every day, and it doesn't matter what I write. I can jot an entry in my journal, work on a poem, write a blog post (this counts), etc. As long as I write SOMETHING for at least 15 minute every day, I'm good.

So, it has started. Let's see how it goes.

No comments: