Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Am I Just Being Picky?


There are currently four dry counties in North Carolina, and I just happen to live in one of them. Of course, we're only dry on paper if you ask me. There is golf course in our county that has a store that sells beer and wine. How that works, I have no idea.

That being said, today there is a vote in town to bring in sales. (Four different referendums on the ballot actually.) Now, this is only in the city limit, so only those living in the city limit can vote. Which leaves me out...which I hate. I understand there are those who don't want any of the referendums to pass, but I for one like an occasional glass of wine, or *gasp* even a mixed drink. (I discovered chocolate martinis a couple years ago. Yum.) And considering how many people go outside the county to purchase now, our we are losing out money-wise. (Even purchases made at the golf course do not benefit our county.)

So, here we are, awaiting the results of a city vote. If this stuff passes, maybe it will open things up county-wide. Who knows. There are many signs around town pushing both sides, which brings me to my actual reason for this blog. Do you see the problems with these signs?

I'm not an English major or anything, but I have this issue with signs that are just plain wrong. This one for instance. It should read "proposals," plural.

And then there's this one. If I'm not wrong, it should read "alcoholic beverages." (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)

Now, since I'm on the 'other' side of this issue, some may think that's the only reason I'm pointing these out. That really isn't true. These are the only such mistakes I've seen in the dozens of signs that have popped up in my town. And I really wonder if I'm just being too picky when I say that grammatical and/or spelling mistakes on signs (ANY signs) is one of my biggest pet peeves.

2 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Hey, Susan, Our western NC county seat (after previous unsuccessful tries)finally voted in beer and wine sales within the city limits a year ago. Hoorah! It just takes time.

Susan M. Bell said...

This is the second time this has come up here. Last vote was 2003...I think. Didn't pass then. But, the petition to get it on the ballot had lots more signatures this time, and the economy is worse this time, so maybe there's hope for us evil drinkers after all. ;-}